Character! A wise man once said your character determines your altitude in life. Below are 60 quotes on character. Enjoy!
60 Great Quotes On Character
1. Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. – Unknown
2. The great hope of society is individual character. – William Ellery Channing
3. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
4. Characters do not change. Opinions alter, but characters are only developed. – Benjamin Disraeli
5. The greatest legacy one can pass on to one’s children and grandchildren is not money or other material things accumulated in one’s life, but rather a legacy of character and faith.
6. Most people say that it’s the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character. – Albert Einstein.
7. Character is the result of two things: Mental attitude and the way we spend our time. – Elbert Hubbard
8. A man’s character is like his shadow, which sometimes follows and sometimes precedes him, and which is occasionally longer, occasionally shorter, than he is. – Madame de la Rochejuquelein
9. Character is what you know you are, not what others think you have –Unknown
10. Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power – Abraham Lincoln
11. The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education. –Martin Luther King, Jr.
12. Our character is basically a composite of our habits. Because they are consistent, often unconscious patterns, they constantly, daily, express our character. – Stephen Covey
13. Do what you know and perception is converted into character. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character! – Theodore Roosevelt
15. Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. – John Wooden
16. How true Daddy’s words were when he said: all children must look after their own upbringing. Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands. – Anne Frank
17. Character is, for the most part, simply habit become fixed. – C. H. Parkhurst
18. Men show their character in nothing more clearly than what they think laughable. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
19. Character is a diamond that scratches every other stone. –Cyrus A. Bartol
20. The man who cannot believe in himself cannot believe in anything else. The basis of all integrity and character is whatever faith we have in our own integrity. – Roy L Smith
21. Our true character is that person we become when no one is watching. – Unknown
22. You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one. – Henry David Thoreau
23. Reputation is for time; character is for eternity. – J. B. Gough
24. Knowledge will give you power, but character respect. – Bruce Lee
25.Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character – Albert Einstein
26. Character is like a tree and reputation is like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. – Abraham Lincoln
27. Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right path, the the final forming of a person’s character lies in their own hands. – Anne Frank
28. Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance. – Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Recommended: The value of character- Story about character
29. The essential thing is not knowledge, but character. – Joseph Le Conte
30. Talents are best nurtured in solitude. Character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world. – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
31. Our character is but the stamp on our souls of the free choices of good and evil we have made through life. – John C. Geikie
32. People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
33. In the stormy current of life characters are weights or floats which at one time make us glide along the bottom, and at another maintain us on the surface. – Hippolyte Taine
34. Character is what you think in the dark. Dwight L. Moody
35. You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. – James D. Miles
36. Character is the real foundation of all worthwhile success. John Hays Hammond
37. Nature magically suits a man to his fortunes, by making them the fruit of his character. Ralph Waldo Emerson
38. Do what you know and perception is converted into character. Ralph Waldo Emerson
39. Men best show their character in trifles, where they are not on their guard. It is in the simplest habits, that we often see the boundless egotism which pays no regard to the feelings of others and denies nothing to itself. Arthur Schopenhauer
40. Character isn’t something you were born with and can’t change, like your fingerprints. It’s something you weren’t born with and must take responsibility for forming. – Jim Rohn
41. It is of little traits that the greatest human character is composed.
42. Human greatness does not lie in wealth or power, but in character and goodness. People are just people, and all people have faults and shortcomings, but all of us are born with a basic goodness. Anne Frank
43. Character is the result of two things: Mental attitude and the way we spend our time. Elbert Green Hubbard
44. Character and personal force are the only investments that are worth anything. Walt Whitman
Every thought willingly contemplated, every word meaningly spoken, every action freely done, consolidates itself in the character, and will project itself onward in a permanent continuity. Henry Giles
45. We are builders of our own characters. We have different positions, spheres, capacities, privileges, different work to do in the world, different temporal fabrics to raise; but we are all alike in this, — all are architects of fate.
John Fothergill Waterhouse Ware
46. Character is, in the long run, the decisive factor in the life of individuals and of nations alike.
47. Actions, looks, words and steps form the alphabet by which you may spell character. Johann Kasper Lavater
48. Every human being is intended to have a character of his own; to be what no others are, and to do what no other can do. William Henry Channing
49. Let us not say, Every man is the architect of his own fortune; but let us say, Every man is the architect of his own character. George Dana Boardman
49. Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved. Helen Keller
50. Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as strong to think. Ralph Waldo Emerson
51. The measure of a man’s real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out. – Thomas B Macaulay
52. Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It’s not hard. Character is doing what’s right when nobody’s looking. – Unknown
53. Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power. Abraham Lincoln
54. Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have – life itself. Walter Anderson
55. Authenticity is everything! You have to wake up every day and look in the mirror, and you want to be proud of the person who’s looking back at you. And you can only do that if you’re being honest with yourself and being a person of high character. You have an opportunity every single day to write that story of your life. Aaron Rodgers
56. Personality , Doing, Things
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert Einstein
57. Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.
58. There can be no failure to a man who has not lost his courage, his character, his self respect, or his self-confidence. He is still a King. Orison Swett Marden
59. The foundation stones for a balanced success are honesty, character, integrity, faith, love and loyalty. Zig Ziglar
60. Sports teaches you character, it teaches you to play by the rules, it teaches you to know what it feels like to win and lose-it teaches you about life.
Billie Jean King
Below you will find our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous old character quotes, character sayings, and character proverbs, collected over the years from a variety of sources.
Thank you for reading. Please don’t forget to share this article if you enjoyed these quotes!