Pawpaw which is also known as Papaya is a very popular fruit that grows in tropical climates and always available at most times of the year. It has sweet taste, orange colour and vitamins which make beneficial to health.
In this article you learn about the:
- Nutritional value of Pawpaw
- Uses of Pawpaw
- Health benefits of Pawpaw
Nutritional Values of Pawpaw
There are a lots of vitamins in Papayas which include:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B (alpha and beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Lycopene (a powerful antioxidant)
- Carbohydrate ( fiber and sugar)
Uses of Pawpaw
Papayas are used in the tenderization of meat. This as a result of its enzyme called papain. Furthermore, it is used in the preparation of several nutritional dishes and chewing gum.
Health Benefits of Papayas
Papayas have many health benefits when eaten; they are:
1.Age-related macular degeneration: Generally, higher intake of fruits helps to decrease the progression of age-related macular degeneration. Zeaxanthin, an antioxidant found in papaya that helps to take out harmful blue light rays which increases age-related macular degeneration. It also helps in the protective role in eye health.
2.Asthma Prevention: The high intake of certain nutrients like beta-carotene reduce the risk of developing asthma. Beta-carotene is present in papaya. Other fruits rich in beta-carotene include apricots, broccoli, cantaloupe, pumpkin and carrots.
3. Improve Digestion: The papain are present in papaya which are beneficial in improve digestion because papain enzyme breaking down proteins and make protein easier to digest. If the protein is not digested in our body it may cause several diseases such as arthritis, constipation, diabetes, high blood pressure, and many more diseases.
4.Helps To Fight Cancer: Beta-carotene is an antioxidant found in papayas helps to reduce cancer risk. Among younger men, it helps to reduce risk of prostate cancer as per research.
5. Reduce Weight: Due to fibre, low calories and appetite-reducing effects in pawpaw. It helps to reduce fat in obese people
6. Bone Health: Vitamin K and calcium present in pawpaw helps to strengthen bones in the body. Adequate vitamin K consumption is very essential for good health, as it improves calcium absorption and also it may reduce urinary excretion of calcium.
7. Healthy Heart :The fiber, potassium and vitamin A and C present in papaya helps to prevent heart disease through the reduction of cholesterol. and also reduce the chance of heart attack.
8. Beneficial for diabetes: According to research, it has been stated they pawpaw is helpful in slowing down the development of diabetes (type-II).
9. Prevent Inflammation : Carotenoids which is highly present in pawpaw helps to decrease inflammation in different parts of the body. Also, vitamin A contained in pawpaw are very essential in decreasing inflammation in lungs.
10. Improves immunity: As per research, papaya contain antioxidants which are helpful in improving the immunity of persons. It also beneficial for jaundice, bronchitis, kidney colic, and other illnesses.
11. Treats skin: The enzymes present in papaya helps to remove dead cells of the skin. They are essential in soft skin from harsh effects of sun. Furthermore, it is also used to remove wrinkles, wound healing and age spots.
12. Hair Growth: Folic acid which vitamin A is present in pawpaw which is very helpful in healthy hair growth. Furthermore, the seeds of pawpaw can be used to reduce and prevent dandruff due its antifungal properties.