What Are You Afraid Of?
I used to be afraid of night, afraid of the dark, afraid that just beyond the point my eye sight allow me to see that there was something….. lurking.
Afraid that the darkness itself will somehow surround me and swallow me up. That’s if the darkness or anything more than simply the absence of light.
I used to be afraid of tomorrow afraid who I was will continually detect who I am and who I would be, might be someone who I don’t really like so much at all. As if there was no such thing as being made new.
I used to be afraid of opinions, afraid that the words wouldn’t break my bones, they certainly will shatter my dreams. As if I started doing it for the approval of many rather than the glory of one.
I used to be afraid of failure, afraid of losing, afraid of falling, afraid of being wrong, creating busts, looking absolutely stupid because who am I to think I can ever actually make a difference. As if those step backs were anything more than stepping stones on the path to success.
I used to be AFRAID…… used to…..but then I made a little research and at that, I mean I Re-search, then re-search, then I Re-search over and over again until all my researching. I keep coming up with the same exact question.
What room does FEAR have?
- What room does FEAR have when I cling to Trust.
- What room does fear have when I lean on Hope.
- What room does fear have when I search for something more, when I discover what’s good and I stand in AWE.
- When I run in perseverance, when I walk by faith and when I rest in comfort.
- What room does fear have when I sing in praise. When I take hold of inspiration, explore the possibilities and step into freedom.
- What room does fear have when I discover strength, embrace courage. Remember peace, declare truth, choose joy, experience life and conquer death.
- What room does fear have when I find perfection in the one place I never thought to look…….in weakness. When I’m saved by the unlikely of heroes by grace. When I’m invited into a relationship more loving and intimate that I can ever imagine as a child of God.
I ask you again, what room does fear have when I step out of the darkness and I bonce in the light. When I let the past be the past and the future has no limit l.
When they can talk all they want but their opinion doesn’t matter and when failure is nothing more and nothing less than the road which I walk to my path of success.
I ask you one more last time, what room does FEAR have when in his word, he tells me 365 times (depending on the translation), “Do not be afraid”. As if I needed to hear that every single day and as if that’s how many times I needed to hear it before I finally believed.
What room does FEAR have when I make room for LOVE.
Video transcription of Jon Jorgenson’s spoken words.